http://www.theiwh.com/

Friday 25 January 2013

While you were sleeping....





One way communication? Oh can communication be one way and still called communication? As we all have learnt that Communication involves a sender, a message, a receiver and the medium or channel through which the message would travel. It is considered to be complete only when the feedback is received. I am not talking about the theory of communication or listing the barriers ....but how even one way communication can be great at times. Infact it reminds me of the movie 'While you were sleeping'.

Have you ever wondered how it works... let me put it across to you in another prospective, Have you used this form of communication ever? I am sure you have, how has it helped you or helped a situation?
For me it has been writing to my loved ones, who did not have a way of responding, be it writing to my grand parents regularly. Sending them handmade new year cards. They'd always tell me, how nice they were and how much they looked forward to my letters and the greeting cards, of course when  we'd meet. I never expected them to reply to the letters or send cards to me... It was one way for the world but it did mean the world to me and brightened my days... They still do, thinking about them. Though they are watching over me from far they remain in my heart forever.

It was also writing new year messages on hand made cards or letters to my relatives, uncles, aunts... they looked forward to receiving one, anytime in the month of January each year. This one way communication later followed my better half, he was the chief officer in the merchant navy then,  the internet onboard the vessel was with the captain but others could receive messages on the vessel email id. Thus he could only receive messages but he never tried to revert, would call later and would tell me how nice he felt reading them. I always felt that, like all of us he must be looking forward to hearing news from the home front, whether there was something of importance or not. Its rightly said, 'Home is where the heart is! Fortunately within months of our marriage he was promoted as the captain... now he had the access to the internet! ... things didn't change when it came to writing back! But again the access is limited and they need to be judicious about its usage. He believes in living by example, wouldn't do anything that he didn't expect the others to do. Yeah I do complain about it but somewhere deep inside I also respect that. Yes, when he is sailing I do try to send a message everyday, as its a customary habit for me... my letters often get sms type replies but no complaints whatsoever. I very well understand the compatibility of Venus and Mars!... we (Venusians and Martians) are a bit different and we must celebrate our differences.

In relationships one way communication is the best thing to happen at times. It allows the person to vent, where an explosive situation can be curtailed. Allows the one who is on the prowl to explain their stand, finally the calm leads to an amicable settlement... if at all you can call the situation a settlement! the bottom line is the friendship is saved. I am not being a feminist here but the experience says that it helps if the man allows one way communication from the lady. Playing the role of a good listener helps... most of the times!!

There can be situations where its not possible to reciprocate by replying to a message but acknowledging it is certainly good. Keeps the understanding and respect in the relationship shared by two individuals. I have experienced it many times and I feel its extremely healthy, Doesn't let a situation get out of control as only one party is communicating.... reaching out to the other person ....no doubt it is! Just like we communicate with the power we believe in, the almighty even that is often one way but its also most fulfilling. May also add that lectures most often are one way communications!

PS

I'll keep with my promise of writing about Abhilash Tomy in my posts till he is back from his historic voyage.
(Abhilash Tomy is attempting to be the first Indian on a solo non stop unassisted circumnavigation of the globe)

He is sailing alone, has a little window to the world when it comes to communicating with others, his friends, family, well wishers and fans. I am sure he receives hundreds of messages from them. At the same time, it may just not be possible for him to revert or acknowledge. But people will still send him the messages of goodwill and show that they care. Sending him good wishes as he is all set to round the Cape Horn soon... he is extremely close to it now. He may round it while we are sleeping!

 To know more about Lt. Cdr Tomy and his boat the Mhadei, follow the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment