http://www.theiwh.com/

Wednesday 4 January 2017

Practice Gratitude!


Hello Everyone! 
This  makes me feel as if I am talking to you all reading this.... actually, I am ....in my mind. Hope am able to establish that connect with you! In fact my last post titled, The year that was! dealt with feeling thankful for everything the year gone by, gave me. More of recounting on the best moments and rejoicing in them. Also introspecting and finding out things that helped the year to be awesome!.... with regards to my degree of anticipation and expectations. They are never too high, guess have learnt to keep them achievable and enjoyable. 
Also it takes me to the two experiences I had on the eve of the new year,  inlaws, my two sons and I were home and wanted to decide on the celebrations to ring in the new year. Since hubby was out sailing we had to plan for the evening. The housing society we stay in had a New year party in place, its generally a hit with the children of all age groups and the youngsters. Mothers love it too as everything is under control and under their watchful eyes. The music is good and so is the food. The children also have games organised. So in all its a complete package for the non drinking crowd. Option two, for us was to choose one of the clubs that we are members for the party. I asked everyone, in laws wanted to be home as they avoid having outside food. Children found the club atmosphere not too appealing, where they felt the elders had a good time and they were reduced to mere babies with some silly entertainment. Fair enough! Now I was the one to decide, truly speaking I felt like being with my in laws and enjoying the evening with watching an entertainment program on TV and some great music, may be a glass of red wine or the bubbly. But couldn't leave the boys on their own so I decided to attend the society event. Do mother's really have a choice?


I was free the whole day as nothing much had to be done. Went for my walk picking up the cellphone and a sling bag with my wallet in it. After walking for about an hour while returning home, decided to pick up the cake thought in laws would be home and they could have it. Though had plans of getting the New Year cake on the 1st. Went to the cake shop that I always pick up cakes from. It was 7 pm, there were many cakes on display, a counter set outside too. And quite a few people in the shop, picking up their orders or buying off the shelf.
I waited for my turn, in the meanwhile checked the wallet and realised that I had picked up the wrong one that I use for keeping the change and not the one that had cash and cards. I asked for the pineapple cake that in laws like and told him that I didn't have all the cash. The owner had a look of pride and achievement on  his face that day as it was his day of good sales I guess. When he heard what I told him, he asked me to take the smaller one as it being the 31st night he couldn't do anything what I understood was he wouldn't give any credit. He is the same guy who has been delivering my cake orders of atleast 3 kgs plus for the birthdays and anniversaries. I pick up cakes from his shop very regularly. If you take an average it'll be more than 2 each month. I felt quite taken aback, and told him that I would come back with full cash and take the cake then. I was surprised with his behaviour, does anyone treat a regular customer like this? He'd have got his money the very next day, he had my number too so I wasn't going to be a defaulter. 
Some of you might be thinking why am I giving so much importance to such a trivial issue. And that the man was doing his job, so what if he was a bit superstitious with giving such petty credit. I agree completely. But at the shop that day this gentleman was demanding only cash payments. He had a card swiping machine but  was telling the customers that it wasn't functional. He was not accepting any online wallet payments either. People had cash crunch due to demonetization accepting cards and wallet payments is the least he could do. Even small time vendors and small business owners like the cobbler on the street were accepting these modes of payments. That makes me not excuse the behavior of the cake shop owner.

As I was walking back home, there's another cake shop on the way, The Iyengar Bakery and they had introduced fresh cream cakes to their existing menu. I just walked in to check the new counter that they had opened. They did have pineapple cakes and I picked up one from them. I told the person at the counter that I didn't have much cash to which he replied, I could take whatever I wanted and pay later. I picked my the pineapple cake, and the money in the wallet was just about enough. I kept walking towards my home but thoughts were with the person who was so arrogant that day, somewhere I felt humiliated too. I was thinking of never ever buying anything from him. 
I reached home, shared the incident with my mother in law, she knew exactly how I felt... she understands me completely must say! Went for the party with my boys and returned home only post 12, we walked in with the New year literally.

My thoughts were pretty mixed now I just wanted to forgive the baker, thought afterall it's our attitude that decided how we dealt with situations. It also defined who we were. Gratitude was to be practiced by all. A person should never carry any ill feelings towards anyone. I told to myself that I'd go to that cakeshop again and buy cakes from him but also let him know what he did. Afterall, I am a trainer and a teacher! I also understand the importance of sharing my feedback. People improve, services improve, perceptions undergo a change - that's the very purpose of training isn't it?


I felt better. Then was checking my phone, there were hundreds of new year messages and greetings that I wouldn't have finished reading forget reciprocating. Checked my Gmail and one email kind of made my day feel really special, in fact was a great start to 2017,copying it here for you.
 
Hello Laxmi,
Your first article is live now. Here is the link to your article: http://marinersgalaxy.com/2016/12/new-year-resolutions.html
You can share this where ever you want.


Have A Nice Day,
Mark Eriscson
Chief Editor
[Merchant Navy, Shipping Jobs, Maritime News, Exams, Shipping Companies, Marine Engines, Stories Of Seas...More]

So my article was up on this popular portal of the mariners. Having connections in the shipping community and being married to a master mariner, I took it as an honour when they asked me to contribute articles. I was thrilled! One evening brought so many experiences and emotions. From bad customer service to a delight and then a feeling of great honour. Whatever said and done, its always your attitude that decides how you'll end up feeling. Calm and optimistic or grumpy and negative. You attract things that'll touch your life!
Am sure you all are having a brilliant start to the new year, let humility and gratitude be an integral part of it. 

PS pictures are taken from Google with due credits, for representational purpose only.

No comments:

Post a Comment