http://www.theiwh.com/

Monday 3 August 2015

People I am glad to have met – the bikers and bikers at heart!


My brother in law, Sahil Verma was going for a REO’s (Royal Enfield Owners) 15th August Independence Day Ride in 2012 and that got me interested. He shared the account of the ride with me. This was from Bandra to Nariman Point. For the next one on the 26th January somehow he couldn’t be a part of and I managed to be there. It was being held in Navi Mumbai from Centre One, Vashi to Panvel via JNPT and back. Met Nigel Rich, who was organizing the ride that year. There were more than 600 riders from all over Mumbai and what a spectacular sight they made. I felt so happy riding with them. Infact the lady riders and the pillions had the privilege to lead the ride. Probably that was one of the blissful, happy moments I have experienced in my life. I certainly lived that moment not as a daughter, a wife, a daughter in law, a mother or a sister but just me – Laxmi. All thanks to my mom in law for telling me to be part of the republic day early morning ride.

What I feel about these Rides, they are not just to pump the adrenalin rush but they make an individual responsible, disciplined, follow brotherhood and take up social causes in a big, organised way! Thumps up to that! We see youngsters misusing the powerful bikes leading to accidents due to rash driving. Palm Beach Road in Navi Mumbai sees such accidents almost everyday. Apart from the Traffic Police, I feel that the Bikers can organise fun camps and invite the young bikers, no matter what bike they ride; especially college students to join them for rides and let them experience the thrill of biking and responsible driving. I can help, preparing the campaign! if need be write your speeches too!!
I have very young bikers.... my sons! and I certainly wish them as well as other young boys and girls to enjoy speed with safety and discipline. It’s a habit that can be inculcated in young people.

How responsible are these people?
I just loved the rules that they follow,
Rules to be followed strictly for the ride:
1. Be on time for the ride.
2. Helmet for the rider and the pillion is compulsory and do carry your riding gears(if any).
3. Shoes or boots compulsory for the rider.
4. No overtaking amongst each other. 
5. No rash riding during the ride.
6. No breaking file, we will ride in a file of 2.
7. No violence during the ride.
8. Always follow the bike which is ahead of you, all the way. 
9. Headlights will be full time on.
10. Every rider should carry valid driving license along with all necessary documents.
11. Make sure your royal Enfield is well serviced to avoid a break down during the ride.
**************************note*****************************
Violation of the above rules will strictly not be tolerated.

With admiration for the bikers I started reading about them and I am really happy to have connected with some of the best in the country- both men and women. Bharadwaj Dayala is the only Indian biker to have gone around the world on a motorcycle, Sarah Kashyap has done the entire India tour on her bike and another young lady Roshni Sharma earns my appreciation for her biking rides, doing Ladakh just a while ago. 66 years old Col. Sohan Roy’s name was also included in the Limca Book of Records in 2011 for being the oldest rider to ride to world’s highest motorable road, Khardung La, on a Pulsar 220. Another extremely inspiring biker 68 years old Col. MA Kaleem rode solo around India and now attempting a Guinness World record (Longest ride on motorcycle in a single country). Steven Miranda, Sanjay Naidu, Carl Gawli, Jaspreet Singh Monty are some REOs who do so much for the society and support charities. There are clubs all over the country and they do some exceptional work.

These people really inspire and live their passion. They are professionals having successful careers and when it comes to following their heart they take on it like a dream. Always giving the message to ride with safety and follow brotherhood.

 
From my column

No comments:

Post a Comment